The new way to avoid checking your emails every ten minutes...

Welcome to my blog! On it I'm going to post all the things we cover in class (handouts, youtube vids, useful stuff in the library, revision notes....) so it'll be in one easy to find spot. If you want to ask me anything direct (and that incluldes you, parents) then don't bother emailing me at my gmail address, but do drop me a line at my school address.
Cheers!


Wednesday 8 June 2011

Reading - it's the future

I can see how impressed you all were today when I pointed out the reading you should be doing for the next year! Just to recap, here are the books that I pointed out today, under different sections. Ahem.

Books you have got to read, between now and January. No arguments, no moaning.

David Crystal - A Little Book of Language
                        Texting: The Gr8 Db8
                        Listen  to Your Child
                        The Fight for English
R.L Trask -      Language: The Basics
Bill Bryson -     Mother Tongue

Bonus books you can read for LOLZ, in case you finish all of the above. A little trickier, but still extremely useful:

David Crystal - The English Language
                         Words Words Words
Melvyn Bragg - The Adventure of English
Adrian Beard -  Language Change

And don't forget that David Crystal's Encyclopedia of the English Language is always there, although I certainly wouldn't recommend reading it from cover to cover. The link here is for a slightly older (1995) copy, which is a couple of pounds second hand - might be useful to have knocking around at home. There are copies of the newer, more expensive version in school; one in the library and one in the English office.

Don't think for a moment that I'm expecting you to buy any of these - I've included the links to Amazon just in case you are desperate to read a copy that someone else has, and they're on offer. Just to repeat - you aren't expected to buy any of these books. 


So, in other jobs - revisit Google Reader, and add this blog to the subscriptions, and also add the blogs that are listed to the right of this post (if you haven't already).

Show this blog to your folks - parents are always keen to know what their offspring are up to in lessons, and this will help them keep up with what you are meant to be doing.

Sally and James - click here

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment